If you are a professional then there is no doubt in the fact that Outlook is an essential part of your life. However, Outlook comes with a number of errors and one of them is Outlook Error 0x80070021. You might have faced this error while using Outlook express and even though it is not that complex, it still has the ability to make the Outlook account unreachable. When this error takes place, the user is unable to access their emails and they are not even able to send an email.
One of the most common reasons behind this error happens to be using the wrong credentials or a large PST file. There are more reasons due to which Outlook Error 0x80070021 takes place and if you want to fix it then you must know about it as well.
Reasons behind Outlook Error 0x80070021
There are a number of reasons due to which the PST file gets corrupted and you experience Outlook Error 0x80070021. We are sharing a list of possibilities that you must be careful of in order to safeguard yourself from the error. They are:
You will be indicated about the hardware failure when you are unable to store or share the data of the PST file which results in its corruption and you end up losing your emails. It falls under 3 categories which are-
An issue with Data storage device:
Failure of the data storage device is a problem when your hard disk has corrupt sectors and your pst files are placed on those bad sectors by mistake and then you face an error like Error 0x80070021. It will be next to impossible to read your email PST data from bad sectors which will ultimately result in the file getting corrupt.
Problem with the network device:
It is quite common that the PST file is saved on the network server and you try to access it from there from the client system. Therefore, if something goes wrong with the network hardware like cards, hubs, or something else then it is quite natural that the PST file will get damaged as well.
Sudden power failure:
If you are having a look at your mails and checking the PST file then the power goes off out of the blue then it can also result in corrupting the PST file.
Top 5 ways to fix Outlook Error 0x80070021
Now that you know the basic reasons behind Outlook Error 0x80070021, it will be much easier for you to get rid of it by trying out some troubleshooting methods that too without any advanced technical knowledge.
Method 1: Try a clean boot
Outlook Error 0x80070021 can also take place if another program is using the file so, in order to get rid of it, you should try to perform a clean boot so that you are able to use Outlook with a minimum set of programs. You can refer to the steps mentioned below:
- Press the ‘R’ and windows key simultaneously in order to open the Run box
- Type ‘msconfig’ in the empty box and then click on ‘ok’ to continue
- When a window pops up, navigate to the services tab and then tick the option that says ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’ and then choose to disable all of them
- Once you do it, go to the ‘Startup’ option and click on ‘Open task manager’
- You can see a number of startup options and you can select the avoidable ones and then click on ‘Disable’
- Open Outlook again to see if Outlook Error 0x80070021 is gone or not
Method 2: Close Outlook from the Task Manager
If Outlook is still running in the background even when you have closed it then you might be facing this error. Try these steps to close it properly:
- Click on the Taskbar and select ‘Task Manager’ from the context menu
- Once a window pops up, find ‘Outlook’
- Right-click on it once you spot it and then click on ‘End task’ in order to continue
- Once you do it, manage Outlook data files and see if the Outlook Error 0x80070021 has been resolved or not
Method 3: Boot in the safe mode
When you boot in the safe mode, the operating system starts with only the needed components and stops the other drivers which might be causing this error. The third-party startup programs are disabled as well. You can boot in the safe mode by following the steps listed below:
- Open the run box by clicking on the Windows key and ‘R’ at once and then enter ‘msconfig’ then click on ok to continue
- Go to the boot tab in the pop-up window and then check the option that says ‘Safe Boot’
- Once your laptop/desktop enters the safe mode, you can manage the Outlook files and this must have solved the Outlook Error 0x80070021
Method 4: Uninstall Search email indexer
If you are facing the Outlook Error 0x80070021 then chances are that it is happening due to COM Add as it doesn’t let Outlook close properly. Therefore, you can uninstall this add in to stop the error from the root cause by following these simple steps:
- Open Outlook and then choose ‘File’
- Click on ‘Options’ and then choose ‘Add ins’
- Go to ‘Manage’ and then click on ‘COM Add-ins’
- Select ‘Go’ which will display the list of the installed ‘Add ins’
- From there you can select ‘Search email indexer’ and then remove it to fix the Outlook Error 0x80070021
Method 5: Uninstall the Microsoft Office Communicator
If you have this installed then uninstalling it will help you to get rid of the Outlook Error 0x80070021. It is very easy to do it and the steps are:
- Open the Control Panel and then click on ‘Program’ then select ‘Uninstall a program’ to continue
- When a window opens up, click on ‘Microsoft office communicator’ then uninstall it
- Once it has been uninstalled, open Outlook again
One of these methods will surely help you to fix the Outlook Error 0x80070021. However, if you still face any problem regarding any error then you can connect with the Email customer support and the experts will help you out in no time.
Also Read: Change Outlook Password
We hope that the above methods helped you in resolving error x80070021 in Outlook. If you are still facing the problem then get Email Customer Support from certified experts. Techies are live round the clock to help customers.