The AOL Desktop Gold is popular amongst the users due to its highly interactive web-interface and other useful features. But, sometimes, the AOL Desktop Gold icon missing problem ruins the overall experience. If you are also facing a similar challenge, then do not worry as we will help you restore the missing AOL Desktop Gold icon with some simple steps.
The problem of missing the AOL Desktop Gold icon occurs due to malicious software in PC, corrupt files in the system, activation of the task scheduler, or system maintenance, which removes the broken shortcuts. Sometimes, the settings related issues also result in missing AOL Desktop Gold icon. Check out the next section for initial fixes to restore the icon.
Basic troubleshooting to eliminate the causes of missing icon
Before proceeding to the advanced fixes, you must ensure some necessary checks and get them in place. Here are they:
- Install antivirus software and scan your PC to remove viruses, malware, Trojan horse, etc.
- To avoid the broken links, temporarily store the shortcut icons in the same folder.
- If, along with AOL Desktop Gold, all other icons are also missing, then follow these steps.
- First, right-click on the desktop screen(at empty space).
- Now select View from the drop-down menu.
- Now checkmark Show Desktop If it’s already selected, then deselect and reselect the option.
- Here you need to right-click on the desktop screen and select Refresh.
- The last basic troubleshooting is to run the automatic system troubleshooter to ensure that the AOL Desktop Gold is working fine.
Still, not able to restore the AOL Gold icon? then proceed.
Is AOL Desktop Gold icon missing from “System Tray” or “Desktop”?
If the icon is missing from the desktop, but it is present in the system tray, that means the AOL Desktop Gold is still on your PC.
And if it is missing from the system tray itself, that means the AOL Desktop Gold browser is uninstalled from your PC.
Follow these steps to restore.
Method 1: Restore the AOL Desktop Gold icon in “System Tray”
- Reinstall the AOL Desktop Gold if it’s missing from the system tray.
- Open the browser on your computer.
- Visit the website aol.com and log in using your credentials.
- Now go to All Products section and click AOL Desktop Gold.
- Click Download Now.
- After that, keep following the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Always keep your AOL Desktop Gold updated to the latest version.
- An outdated Windows will be incompatible with the new AOL browser. Go to the Update and Security option under the Settings menu, click Windows Update and update it as a pert new release.
- Now check if the AOL Gold Desktop icon appears in the system tray.
Method 2: Restore the AOL Desktop Gold icon in “Desktop Screen”
After reinstalling the AOL Gold browser, it will appear on the primary drive. Now follow the below steps to get it to the desktop.
- Go to My Computer, now click and open C: Drive and select Programs and Files. Here find the AOL Desktop Gold
- You need to right-click on the AOL Gold icon and choose to create a shortcut.
- You can also drag and drop the file to the desktop to create a shortcut.
- Alternatively, open the system tray (bottom-left corner), right-click on the AOL Gold icon, and select Create Shortcut.
- To add-on, you must clear the db cache files from the registry window to fix the missing AOL Desktop Gold issue.
Advanced Troubleshooting to restore the missing AOL Gold icon
Method 3: Disable the System Maintenance Troubleshooter
If you are frequently facing the AOL Desktop Gold icon missing problem, it is due to the broken icons.
- Firstly, click the search box and type Control Panel on your PC and then click System & Security
- Click Find & fix problems.
- On the left side panel, click Change Settings and then choose Computer Maintenance.
- Now under the Computer Maintenance tab, select Off and then click Ok.
- Restart your computer and verify if the AOL Desktop Gold icon appears? If it’s not, then proceed further.
Method 4: Stop the Task Scheduler
- Move your cursor to the Start icon and click over it.
- Choose Programs from the list of results.
- Click Windows
- Now locate and click System Tools.
- Now choose the option Task Scheduler.
- On the left-side panel, click and expand Task Scheduler Library.
- Again expand the Microsoft
- Click the Windows folder and then disable it.
- Now you can restart the system to save the settings. These steps will help you restore the missing icon.
Method 5: Reinstall the AOL Desktop Gold
- Firstly, visit the Program and Features menu on your computer.
- Now click AOL Gold Desktop and select the option Uninstall or Remove Program.
- Now you can visit the aol.com website for a fresh installation of the program.
- After that, log in using the username and password.
- Now choose the option depending upon the plan you have taken.
- Click My Services and then choose Subscriptions.
- Now locate AOL Desktop Gold and click Get Started.
- Now keep following the on-screen instructions to install it on your computer.
- Alternatively, you can click the link that you have received from the AOL Gold.
Remove icon.db cache files
- Firstly, you need to press Windows + R
- Now the Run command will open, here type regedit and hit Enter to open the Registry Editors Window.
- Now you will need to choose the option HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on the left-panel.
- Click and expand Software, choose Microsoft.
- Now click Windows> click Current Version >click Explorer.
- Here you will find the maximum cached number list. You will see it at 10,000 value and make sure it should not be less than 10,000.
- Now open the C: Drive, and navigate to Users[username]AppDataLocal.
- Right-click dbfiles and select Delete to remove the cache files.
System requirements to avoid missing the AOL Gold icon
To avoid missing the AOL Desktop Gold icon, you must ensure your system is as per these basic system requirements.
- Windows OS 7 or the later version.
- RAM: 1 GB or more.
- Processor speed: 266 MHz or faster would be much better.
- Screen resolution: We recommend you have at least 1024 X 768 or higher resolution.
- System memory: 512 MB for the safe installation of the AOL Gold Desktop.
- For a smooth browsing experience, get high-speed internet.
Facing trouble during the process? Contact the AOL Email help
Adhering to the primary system requirements and following all these steps will help you resolve the AOL Desktop Gold icon missing problem. However, if you face any trouble during the process or do not want to indulge in technicalities, then you can contact our AOL support experts. We have deployed the 24 X 7 Email Help Number to assist you in resolving all AOL related errors. Contact us now!