Microsoft has just launched its free Windows 11 upgrade. Since it’s not compatible with every computer that runs on Windows 10, users would want to know how to upgrade to Windows 11? Free upgrades to new systems are being provided to devices that are shipping with Windows 10 before the operating system becomes accessible to other hardware. Windows 11 needs Zen 2 CPUs or Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake. It also requires Trusted Platform Module support. It renders numerous PCs unable to upgrade to the new operating system. If your Windows 10 PC is eligible for a free Windows 11 upgrade, you don’t need to expend money on buying a new PC with Windows 11 preinstalled. The article will give you ways on how you can upgrade to Windows 11.
Methods to Upgrade to Windows 11
Windows 11 is certainly a more visually refined version of Windows 10. It’s characterized by rounded corners for every window, more graceful settings dialogue, and relocated taskbar icons. It’s definitely something you would want to install on your system as soon as possible. Microsoft offers users a couple of ways to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11. They are mentioned in detail below.
Inspect for compatibility
There has been much debate about Windows 11 requirements. Before you get the update, ensure that your existing Windows 10 PC is fully compatible with the new operating system. A great way to find this is by running the PC Health Check Tool from Microsoft. You can follow the steps below.
- Navigate to the ‘Windows 11 Specifications‘ page.
- Go down to the bottom till you view the section of ‘Check for compatibility.’
- Tap on the link of ‘Download PC Health Check App.’ Now install this program.
- Tap on the ‘Check now‘ button, which you can find in the app.
- If your PC is compatible with Windows 11, a message will indicate to you that your PC fulfills the requirements for Windows 11.
Check for Updates
Microsoft is gradually releasing Windows 11 to all those Windows 10 systems that are compatible with the new version. Naturally, it’s important to see if their update is there for your PC. To check for updates, follow these points.
- Navigate to ‘Settings‘ and select ‘Update & Security.’ Then choose ‘Windows Update.’
- Click ‘Check for Updates.’ If you find Windows 11 update, then don’t waste any time installing it.
Download Windows 11 with the Installation Assistant
If you don’t desire to wait for the upgrade to become ready for your PC, you can choose the method of using the Windows 11 Installation Assistant of Microsoft. Follow the steps given below.
- Launch the ‘Download Windows 11‘ page and tap on the button of ‘Download now.’ You can find it below the section of ‘Windows 11 Installation Assistant.’
- Run the file, ‘Windows11InstallationAssistant.exe‘ that’s downloaded. Tap on the button of ‘Accept and install.’ The installation of Windows 11 will get upgraded to Windows 11. You’ll be able to work with your system during the process of download and installation.
On the completion of the installation process, you’ll notice a prompt to restart your device. You’ll see two options, namely, to restart the device immediately or wait for the half an hour timer to end. After the rebooting of your device completes, you can log in to Windows. On the completion of the final setup, you can start using your Windows 11 desktop.
Make use of the Media Creation Tool of Microsoft
It is yet another option for those desiring to upgrade Windows 10 to 11. The media creation tool of Microsoft is a program that allows users to create installation media for their new operating system. Do the following.
- Go to the ‘Download Windows 11‘ Page.
- Click the button ‘Download now,’ which is below the section of ‘Create Windows 11 Installation Media.’
- Run the file of ‘MediaCreationToolW11.exe.’
- Accept all the license terms. After that, confirm the Windows edition and the language that you desire.
- You can also decide to copy the installation files to your USB drive. Alternatively, you can produce an ISO file and then burn it to a disk.
If you have copied the files to a USB drive, the Media Creation Tool will download the essential Windows 11 installation files. It will then copy them to your USB drive. You just need to open your drive and begin the upgrade process by clicking the ‘setup.exe’ file.
Upgrading to Windows 11 through an ISO file
If you want to upgrade from an ISO file, select a location for it and modify it to a more specific name. The installation files will get saved to your system. You only need to launch the ‘File Explorer,‘ double-click it, and then double-click the ‘setup.exe‘ file. Then do the following.
- Tap ‘Next‘ so that Windows 11 can inspect for updates. After that, accept all the license terms.
- You’ll notice the screen of ‘Ready to install.’ It will show that Windows 11 would be installed and also says that all your private files and applications will be kept. Tap ‘Change‘ to change these choices.
- Now you can decide to keep your files and apps or personal files. You can even elect to keep nothing.
- Tap ‘Next‘ and then ‘Install.’ The upgrade will start running.
After your system reboots, log in and complete the setup process. According to what you decide to keep, Windows can ask you to modify your privacy settings. Then you will be directed to the desktop.
Download Windows 11 Disk Image
You can also choose to upgrade Windows 10 to Windows 11 by directly downloading Windows 11 ISO file. Go through the steps below.
- Navigate to the page ‘Download Windows 11.’
- Now, go to the section of ‘Download Windows 11 Disk Image (ISO).’ From the drop-down menu, choose ‘Windows 11.’
- Tap on the ‘Download‘ button to receive the ISO file.
- After downloading, double-tap the ISO file. Now, double-tap on the ‘setup.exe‘ file.
- On the initial install screen, tap ‘Next‘ to see and download updates for Windows 11.
- On the screen of ‘Ready to Install,’ you’ll notice that Windows 11 are installed. All the personal apps and files are by default kept.
- If you want to alter this setting, tap ‘Change.’
- Switch to ‘Nothing‘ or ‘Personal files only.’
- Tap ‘Next‘ and then tap ‘Install‘ for running the upgrade.
- After the PC restarts, log in to Windows 11 to see the new operating system.
Features Offered by Windows 11
Windows 11 offers impressive functionalities to the users. They are listed below.
- An interface that resembles Mac.
- You can install Android apps from either the Amazon app store or the Microsoft store.
- You can access the widgets from the taskbar and personalize them.
- Microsoft Teams will appear on the taskbar.
- Virtual desktop support.
- Xbox console for a fun gaming experience.
Now you are aware of how to upgrade to Windows 11 easily and for free. The foremost task is to check the compatibility of your Windows 10 PC. After that, you can check for updates on your device. You can also download Windows 11 with the Installation Assistant. An upgrade to Windows 11 can also be done by using Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool. If you find any problem during the upgrade process, connect with expert Microsoft customer support.