Top Fixes For Hotmail Not Working On Various Devices
Hotmail is a hugely popular email service that allows people to communicate with their colleagues and friends with ease. It’s a webmail service by Microsoft that provides email assistance. However, when it does not work as needed, you cannot carry out effective email communication. If you find hotmail not working, you won’t get any new emails.
The issue is a common occurrence in Windows and Mac operating systems. If you want to be ready to troubleshoot this problem, you must know why it happens. After that, you can start troubleshooting it correctly. Keep reading this article to find out how to tackle and resolve the issue.
Read Also – Why Hotmail Not Receiving Emails
Why Is Hotmail Not Working?
Problems with your devices such as iPhone, Android, or laptop is the main reason why this email fails to function. Here are the chief reasons for Hotmail malfunctioning.
- The software used to send emails is not functioning properly.
- There are problems with the settings of your Outlook account.
- The server is down.
- Network connectivity issues can also interrupt the working of the email.
- You are employing an old version of Outlook.
- A virus or malware attack on your system has disturbed the functioning of the email.
- There are excessive cache and cookies in the browser.
- The browser you are using is not compatible with Outlook.
Solutions for Hotmail Not Working
One of the first methods to fix an unresponsive Hotmail is to check your internet connection. It’s essential for your computer to be connected to a virtual internet connection. Apart from that, you can also ensure that the hardware of the device you are using has no glitches. If, even after applying these simple measures, you find Hotmail not responding, move to the ones given below.
1. Re-add Hotmail Account on Outlook
If you encounter this problem suddenly, try re-adding your Hotmail account to the Outlook application. Both Mac and Windows users can abide by the following steps to remove and re-add Hotmail.
- After opening the Outlook app, head to the ‘File‘ area.
- After tapping it, go to ‘Account Settings.’
- Tap this option again.
- You will notice various email accounts. Select your Hotmail account and tap ‘Remove.’
- After the account gets removed, hit ‘Add Account.’
- Now, sign into your Hotmail email. You will find the service working well.
2. Examine the Server Status and your Web Browser
An easy way to fix unresponsive Hotmail is to examine your server status. You will find Hotmail down if its server is not working. In this case, you’ll have to wait till it starts working again. Next, examine your web browser. If you haven’t deleted the browsing history in a long time and cleared cookies and cache, do so.
After doing that, reset your web browser.
- Launch your web browser, such as Google Chrome.
- Tap ‘More Settings‘ followed by ‘Advanced.’
- Now, if you are using Mac, Linux, or Chromebook, hit ‘Reset Settings.’
- Next, tap ‘Restore Settings to their original defaults.’
- Lastly, tap ‘Reset Settings.’
- If you are a Windows OS user, opt for ‘Reset and Cleanup.’
- Then tap ‘Reset Settings to their original defaults.’
- In the end, click ‘Reset Settings.’
3. Get your Outlook Updated
Users who find their Hotmail stopped working should check whether they are using an updated Outlook app or browser to link with Hotmail services. If your Outlook version is old, it won’t be compatible with the Hotmail service. The old version also results in various technical glitches. It’s best to update the Outlook app and browser so that various problems in the software can be fixed automatically.
It’s very easy to update your Outlook app or browser version. Just head to settings and download the available version of the app or browser.
4. Configure Outlook Correctly
Improper configuration of Outlook can also lead you to experience problems with its working. To ensure that the configuration is correct, examine the following details.
- For the incoming mail server, examine the following:
- mail.outlook.com is the IMAP name.
- Choose ‘Yes‘ in front of ‘SSL Type.’
- 993 is the port number.
- For the outgoing mail server, check the following details:
- mail.outlook.com is the SMTP name.
- Choose ‘Yes‘ in front of ‘SSL Type.’
- 465 is the port number.
Read Also – How To Recover Hacked Hotmail Account
Fix Hotmail Not Downloading Gmail Email
Many people complain that they don’t receive Gmail emails in their Hotmail accounts. The following resolutions are for this issue.
1. Unblock Email Addresses in Hotmail Settings
You won’t receive emails from Gmail in your Hotmail account if the email address or Gmail.com domain is blocked. Unblock them by using these points.
- Head to the Hotmail or Outlook website on your web browser.
- Tap the ‘Gear‘ symbol.
- Now, launch ‘View All Outlook Settings.’
- Choose ‘Junk Email.’
- Find if there are any blocked Gmail-related addresses in the ‘Blocked Senders and Domains‘ area.
- If yes, tap the ‘Trash‘ symbol for all of them.
- Next, input ‘Gmail.com‘ in the ‘Search List‘ box.
- If you find Gmail showing, tap the ‘Trash’ icon and click ‘Save‘ afterward.
2. Change Hotmail Rules
If there’s a Hotmail rule you’ve set and you find yourself complaining of Hotmail not working because you are not receiving Gmail emails, try editing the rule. Follow these pointers to edit it.
- Firstly, launch the ‘View All Settings‘ part of Hotmail.
- Now, select ‘Rules.’
- See if a rule is a setup that’s resulting in this problem.
- If you find it, delete the rule and see if you can get Gmail emails.
- If you still face the issue, tap ‘Add new rule‘ and input its name.
- Hit ‘Select a condition‘ followed by ‘From.’
- Now, input ‘*@gmail.com’ in the address box and press Enter.
- Tap ‘Select an action‘ followed by ‘Mark as read.’
- Now, place a tick against ‘Stop Processing More Rules.’
- Lastly, tap ‘Save.’
Read Also – How To Stop Spam Emails In Hotmail
Hopefully, after using these measures, you will be able to fix the glitch in the settings of Hotmail and won’t complain of Hotmail not working.’ First, use simple steps such as checking the internet connection, server, and if there’s a hardware problem with your device. You can then proceed to other ones that are listed. If Hotmail still does not work, feel free to connect with an email technical support expert.