Gmail has rapidly become one of the most trusted email services worldwide. Still, many users are unaware of its features that help them keep their accounts safe and organized. One of the significant problems that people complain of is unwanted spam. If you get a lot of unwanted messages, you should know how to block spam emails on Gmail. To do it on mobile or desktop, simply tap the ‘More’ icon and choose ‘Block.’ You can also use filters in Gmail and block an email address without even opening it. The ‘Filters’ feature in Gmail automatically sends particular sender’s emails to your spam folder. Keep reading to learn about the exact process of blocking spam emails in this post.
Read Also – Why Gmail Not Receiving Emails
How to Block Spam Emails on Gmail?
You can block spam emails on Gmail on both desktop, and mobile app. here are the stepwise instructions on the process to block spam emails on both these platforms.
The process of blocking spam emails on the desktop isn’t tough. Head over to Google and follow the steps below.
- After navigating to Gmail, sign in to your account.
- Now, launch an email that has come from a sender you no longer wish to receive emails from.
- Tap the three vertical dots icon present on the top-right part of the specific email.
- Now, tap ‘Block.’
- To confirm your action, tap ‘Block’ again in the pop-up window.
NOTE – If you have mistakenly blocked a specific email address, you can easily undo this action. Just tap ‘Unblock sender’ present at the email’s top.
iOS and Android
Irrespective of your mobile device, Android or iPhone, you can easily block a spam email address on them. Follow these steps to know how to block emails on Gmail on mobile devices.
- Launch the Gmail device on your mobile device.
- Now, launch an email from the sender you wish to block.
- Next, click the three horizontal dots icon that’s present beside the ‘Reply’ button.
- After that, click ‘Block.’
Read Also – Why Gmail Not Sending Emails
How to Block Emails on Gmail without Opening Them
Do you want to not open an unwanted message without even opening it? You can do so easily by using filters in Gmail. In fact, it is one of the most effective workarounds to stop spam emails. Note that you can only use filters while accessing Gmail via a web browser. Here are the steps you must follow.
- Tap the icon of three slider bars on the right of the search bar. You will find a window that enables you to define your search criteria.
- Input the search criteria. Type email addresses ‘From.’
- You can also define certain words or phrases a message has.
- To find that your search is working correctly, hit the ‘Search’ button. When you click the ‘Down’ arrow, you will see the window with the exact search criteria you typed.
- Now tap ‘Create Filter’ at the end of the search menu. It will make a new filter as per your search criteria.
- Now check an appropriate box for an action you prefer for those emails.
- Hit ‘Create Filter’ at the lower right part. It will make a new filter for your messages.
Read Also – How to Recover Hacked Gmail Account
How to Remove Spam Emails in Gmail?
By now, you must be fully familiar with how to block someone on Gmail. But you can also remove various spam emails at a time. Here are the steps to do so.
- Firstly, mark all the emails you don’t want from specific senders or websites. Just tick the checkbox beside the email messages you wish to remove to select them.
- Now, tap the ‘Stop spam’ icon. This icon will mark the email messages as spam. These messages will now be shifted to your spam folder and reported as spam.
- Click the ‘Spam’ folder. If you aren’t able to see this option, tap ‘More’ at the bottom of the inbox’s list and go down to the spam folder.
- Now, choose the email messages you want to delete. For it, tick the checkbox beside the emails you want to delete.
- Alternatively, you can tap ‘Delete all spam messages now’ present at the page’s top.
- Now, click ‘Delete Forever.’ It will delete all the emails you’ve selected.
NOTE – Through your actions, Gmail automatically learns that some emails are spam. In the future, it automatically treats them as spam. But it may not always do a 100 percent accurate job. So, sometimes you may need to recover emails that are not spam from the spam folder so that Gmail learns to treat them as non-spam emails.
Best Ways to Keep Your Gmail Safe
Unwanted emails are an unavoidable part of email communication today. Often, you will get many mass marketing messages. These can be annoying, so you can follow the steps mentioned in this article to block them. However, sometimes unwanted emails can have harmful links and viruses that compromise your account’s safety. So, apart from knowing how to block spam emails on Gmail, you must also follow the best practices to keep your Gmail account secure. It is especially true for those whose account is connected with multiple digital accounts. Here are the best tips to maintain the safety of your account.
- Keep your software like web browser, Gmail app, and antivirus up to date. The new releases have robust security patches which prevent you from scammers.
- Whenever you get a spam message, report it to Gmail. For doing so, just select the message without opening it, navigate to the toolbar and choose ‘Report Spam.’
- Switch on the two-step verification. It will prevent your account from falling into the wrong hands.
- Do not install lesser-known extensions to your account. They make your account vulnerable.
Read Also – Why Gmail Won’t Attach Files
Today, an increasing number of people are falling victim to spam emails, which contain malicious links. So, you must know how to block spam emails on Gmail to keep your account secure. Follow the steps described to block spam on desktop and mobile. Contact expert email technical support services if you need more assistance with securing your account.