Easily Resolve Yahoo SMTP Server Not Working Issue
SMTP or Simple Mail Transfer Protocol handles all the outgoing messages. Yahoo offers users the functionality to link their Yahoo account to various other emails. Users can do it through SMTP and IMAP (Internet Mail Access Protocol). Most of the time, this configuration works fine. However, in some instances, users find themselves stuck with sending emails. No matter what they do, the emails just don’t get sent. On their email application, they find the message Yahoo SMTP server not working appearing. Incorrectly configuring the SMTP server is the main reason behind this issue. If you are presently encountering this problem and don’t know what to do, this article is just for you. Let’s explore the various troubleshooting techniques you have at your disposal.
Read Also – How To Fix Yahoo Connection To Server Failed Error
What Causes Yahoo Mail SMTP Problem?
As mentioned above, the main culprit behind this issue is the wrong SMTP setting. Apart from that, you can face the error for the reasons mentioned below.
- Your Windows Firewall or any other installed antivirus program is obstructing the outgoing server.
- You have modified your Yahoo credentials.
- An issue related to the software.
- Your computer has a proxy or VPN running.
Read Also – How To Reset Yahoo Mail Password
Troubleshooting Yahoo SMTP Server Not Working
Not being able to send messages from your email can sure feel frustrating. Here are some effective troubleshooting techniques for you to implement.
1. Rectify SMTP Settings
Many users make errors while entering SMTP settings. Remember that even a slight mistake in any of the settings will make the SMTP servers not respond. Below are the correct server settings. Ensure that yours are exactly as follows:
- smtp.mail.yahoo.com is the outgoing server address.
- 25 or 465 is the port number.
- In Encryption Type, input Yes.
- In Requires Authentication, input Yes.
- Input your full name in the field of Email Address
- Type in your Yahoo password in the field of Password.
2. Launch Yahoo in the Safe Mode
If you feel like some add-on is conflicting with your Yahoo SMTP servers, you can start Yahoo in safe mode. While you do so, see whether you still find the SMTP server not working Yahoo.
- Hit Windows + R keys simultaneously.
- The ‘Run’ dialog box will appear on the screen.
- In it, type in ‘msconfig.’ Then press ‘OK.’
- Now, tap the ‘Boot’ tab to launch it individually.
- After that, find the option of ‘Safe Boot’ and click its checkbox. It will be present in the ‘Boot Options‘ menu.
3. Delete your Yahoo Account and Add it Again
Sometimes, users can find the SMTP server Yahoo not working even when they have made no mistake while configuring the server settings. It happens because of damage to the data present in the hard drive. In this case, reconfiguring your Yahoo account is a good fix to try.
- The first step is to remove your present account.
- Now, on your Outlook or any other third-party email account, navigate to the ‘Add Account’ option.
- After tapping it, input your entire email address and domain name in the field of username.
- Now, click ‘Next.’
- Next, choose ‘Add Account’ and input the relevant information.
- Now, choose the ‘Manual setup or additional server types.’
- Tap ‘Next’ on the add account wizard box.
- Continue further by choosing the ‘POP’ or ‘IMAP’ button.
- Now, tap ‘Next.’
- Lastly, input your Yahoo server settings. It will allow you to reconfigure your account and its settings.
4. Use the App Password to Setup the Yahoo Account
Have you set up two-step security on your mail account? In that case, you must use the app password to configure your Yahoo account on the email application.
- Open a web browser. Navigate to your Yahoo! Mail.
- Now, hit the ‘Sign in’ button.
- It will allow you to sign in to your account.
- Tap on your profile picture. Now, click the button ‘Account Info.’
- Head over to ‘Account Security.’
- After that, log into your Yahoo account again.
- After logging in, tap ‘Generate app password.’
- After you receive the app password, you can configure your Yahoo account on another email through this password.
5. Fix the Issue When Firewall is Blocking the SMTP Server
As mentioned in the causes, users also encounter the Yahoo Mail SMTP problem if the Firewall is obstructing the outgoing server. So, in this scenario, you can set up the outbound rule to configure your account. Here is how you can do so.
- Launch ‘Control Panel.’
- Now, head over to ‘Windows Defender Firewall.’
- Hit the option of ‘Advanced Settings.’
- Next, tap the ‘Outbound Rule.’
- Continue further by tapping the ‘New Rule.’
- Next, choose the option of ‘Port.’
- Type port number as 465.
- After that, click ‘Next.’
- The next step is to choose the option of ‘Allow the connection’ followed by clicking the ‘Next’ button.
- Choose ‘All Options’ and tap the ‘Next’ option.
- Name the outbound rule.
- Finish off by tapping the ‘Finish’ button.
6. See Whether there is an issue with the Yahoo Server
Sometimes, you may face the SMTP server problem even when there is nothing wrong at your end. The problem often lies on Yahoo’s side. It’s possible that you are facing the issue because Yahoo servers are down. It will cause you to experience problems in an email exchange.
To verify if this is the reason, you need to check the server status of Yahoo. You can easily accomplish that by heading to a website like downdetector.com. The site will notify you of any server problems. Most probably, the servers will work fine. But if they don’t, you cannot do anything other than just wait for Yahoo to get the problem resolved.
7. Start your System Again
Sometimes, restarting your device is all it takes to fix any technical glitch. The same goes for this problem. Restarting eliminates all the irrelevant junk files from the system and optimizes it. You can restart your system and try sending the message. If it gets sent, your problem is already fixed!
Read Also – Why Unable To Attach Files In Yahoo Mail
Email exchange is an important part of our lives. When users find the Yahoo SMTP server not working, they cannot send even a single email message. If you need to send out some urgent message, this glitch can seem quite troubling. Implement the various resolutions given here to eliminate the problem successfully. But if it still persists, we would highly recommend you to connect with the experts of an email technical support service.