Gmail is the most-used email service at present. And why not? It has numerous features and a wonderful user interface that makes it easy to communicate and exchange important information effortlessly. However, no one would feel nice if their Gmail inbox suddenly crowded with unwanted mails.
The problem of Gmail filters not working is very common. It also demands quick resolutions. Otherwise, you will get lost in sifting through several unwanted emails and lose your motivation to work at all. In this article, you’ll find some of the most effective techniques to fix the spam filter of Gmail.
Read Also – Why Gmail Notifications Not Working
What Can You Do with Gmail Filters?
Gmail filters help you perform many actions. That’s why when users notice their Gmail spam filters not working, they feel terrified and clueless. Here is all that you can do with these handy filters.
- Archive a message so it doesn’t pop in your inbox.
- Mark an incoming message as ‘Read.’
- Mark a message as ‘Starred.’
- Automatically forward your email to a recipient.
- Apply a label to a message.
- Mark particular emails as important.
- Command Gmail to not mark emails that are filtered as important.
- Tell Gmail to add particular incoming emails under a specific category.
Read Also – How To Fix When Gmail Not Working
Why Are Gmail Filters Not Working?
The number cause of Gmail filters not functioning as they ought to is because of a problem in their working. Many things can lead the spam filter to stop working. The primary things that result in this problem are as follows:
- A compromised Gmail account.
- Your Gmail is not syncing correctly
- The spam folder has incorrect settings.
- A series of mails coming from two different Google groups is also another reason for this problem. For example, emails of Google products that deal with other products of the company.
Read Also – Why Gmail Not Sending Emails
Ways to Resolve the Gmail Filters Not Working Issue?
Now that you know the causes of this issue, you can start identifying solutions to fix it. The resolutions for the problem are exactly as per the specific cause you are facing. Follow these tips to make the filters in your Gmail work effectively again.
1. Fix the Compromised Gmail Account
When you notice that Gmail filters stopped working, do not discount the possibility of your account being hacked. You will receive loads of unwanted emails from different places all over the internet when your account gets hacked. So, find out if your account is compromised. If it is, immediately change your account password. It will ensure that there is no additional damage to your account.
If you don’t know how to change the password, follow these instructions.
- Firstly, open your account and sign into it.
- After that, locate the ‘Security‘ tab.
- Under it, choose the ‘Signing in to Google‘ option.
- Now choose ‘Password.’
- You’ll be required to sign in again.
- Input your password and select ‘Change Password.’
2. Ensure Appropriate Gmail Spam Filter Settings
If you find that your spam filter isn’t working and your account isn’t comprised, you can check the Gmail spam filter settings. Follow this process to create the right filter procedure.
- Login to your account.
- Now, tap ‘Settings‘ present on the upper-right part of your screen.
- Next, tap ‘Filters and blocked addresses,’ followed by the ‘Create a new filter‘ option.
- Next, fill in the sender’s email address that you wish to keep in the spam folder.
- Lastly, tap ‘Create filter’ and see if the issue has been resolved.
3. Fix the Problem of Gmail Skip the Folder Filter not Working
The problem occurs when you make a filter not to get emails from a particular sender, but still, you get emails from them. It arises when you don’t use the filters properly. Go through these steps to fix this problem.
- Head over to the ‘Settings‘ of your Gmail account.
- Now, tap ‘See all settings.’
- From the grid, choose the ‘Inbox‘ option.
- Next, choose ‘Default’ followed by selecting the option ‘Don’t override filters.’
- After that, hit the ‘Save Changes’ button.
4. Inspect for ‘Never Send to Spam Filters’
If your spam filter has suddenly stopped working, you must try checking for ‘Never Send to Spam Filters.’ It is a good technique for those who are finding a lot of phishing emails. Follow these few steps to implement this technique.
- Launch Gmail in your browser.
- Now look for any filters that utilize ‘Never Send to Spam.’
- Open https://myaccount.google.com/permissions.
- Then find any third-party applications with Gmail permissions.
5. Find If you have a Broad Incoming Message Filter
Are you consistently receiving emails that shouldn’t be there even if you’ve marked them as spam? If so, you have set up a filter that’s triggering this problem. It’s important to set a filter for incoming mail that is not broad enough to catch spam that gets marked in your inbox. It won’t be sent to the junk folder.
Try adding restricted senders or remove words from the ‘Has the words’ area of research. Ensure to use only unique keywords. Employ negative keywords if you can recognize those in your spam messages that are getting through.
6. File an Abuse Report
Most businesses consider spam quite important. If they repeatedly get marked as spam, email clients like Gmail will filter their whole domain. That’s why businesses take spam very seriously. Are you repeatedly getting emails even though you have unsubscribed from the list? You may think it’s a case of Gmail filters not working and try to find a resolution. But in reality, you must escalate the issue. File an abuse report.
You can also connect with significant email operators to take care of the issue. Try to determine the service that the sender is utilizing or go through their email header and detect their internet service provider. These efforts on your part will definitely help you get rid of spam emails.
Read Also – Why Gmail Not Receiving Emails
Hopefully, this post must have armed you with the measures to fix the problem of Gmail filters not working. They will certainly work to your advantage. You can also seek the support of expert email technical support services if you don’t get the desired outcome by implementing these techniques.